Looking for the best online game development courses but not sure where to start? This article’s here to help.
With a so many options available, it can be difficult to choose the right course.
That's why I've spent two weeks conducting extensive research to help you find top-quality game development courses.
From programming languages to character animation to soundtrack creation and game art design – the world of game development has so much to offer. In this selection you will find courses on all the different aspects of this complicated yet fascinating industry.
After evaluating factors such as pricing, duration, quality of instruction, and more, I’ve compiled a list of courses ranging from beginner-friendly to advanced masterclasses. Allowing you to find the perfect fit.
I delve into the top 10 courses, examining their features and what sets them apart from the competition.
So read on to discover the ideal course for you.
Top 10 best game development courses
Here are the top 10 best game development courses you can find online:
- Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization – Updated (Coursera)
- C# Programming for Unity Game Development Specialization (Coursera)
- CGSpectrum Platform (CGSpectrum)
- Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D (Udemy)
- Unreal Engine 5 C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games (Udemy)
- Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization (Coursera)
- The Ultimate Guide to C# Unity 2D Programming (Skillshare)
- The Beginner’s Guide to Animation in Unity (Udemy)
- Designing Video Game Soundtracks for Beginners (Domestika)
- Unreal Engine: Create an Arcade Classic! (Udemy)
How I made my selection
My top pick is the Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization on Coursera. It’s taught by Brian Winn, director of the Games for Entertainment and Learning Lab at Michigan State University.
You’ll learn a whole new programming language, master Unity software (extremely useful in the game development world) and get a thorough understanding of game theory and its practical applications. Brian’s lessons are an outstanding opportunity for you to dive into the world of code, animation, and development, in a comprehensive and fun way.
Second is the C# Programming for Unity Game Development Specialization also on Coursera. Taught by Dr. Tim Chamillard of University of Colorado, this is a 4-part specialization that will take you from beginner to intermediate in a fun and interesting way. Allowing you to fully understand the intricate world of game development, master game mechanics and use game physics to give your unique characters a polished realistic look.
If you’re new to video game development and coding, this selection offers plenty of courses for the beginner. Take a look at the Beginner’s Guide to Animation in Unity, the Ultimate Guide to C# Unity 2D Programming, or the Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D. These courses will take you step-by-step through how to code, how to apply those codes, and will leave you with a firm foundation in what it takes to develop your very own video game.
For those with some experience or an ambition to have a career in game development, I suggest exploring platforms like the CGSpectrum platform. Courses there are taught by the minds behind games like Mortal Kombat and the Sims 4.
Best free game development courses
These are the best courses you can trial or take for free:
- Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization (Coursera)
- C# Programming for Unity Game Development Specialization (Coursera)
- Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization (Coursera)
- The Ultimate Guide to C# Unity 2D Programming (Skillshare)
Coursera offers a short 7 day trial for Specializations. This is enough time for you to get a taste of what’s on offer before commiting. However, Coursera specializations are quite lengthy, which means you won’t be able to complete them during the trial period.
Skillshare is a subscription platform with a month-long free trial period. This is plenty of time to not only complete the course but also explore other classes of interest.
Best online game development courses
1. Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization
Platform: Coursera | Teacher: Brian Winn | Length: Approximately 5 months
The course is taught by the highly qualified and experienced instructor, Brian Winn. He is a Professor at Michigan State University, where he has taught game design for over 15 years. Brian is known for his ability to break down complex concepts into easily digestible modules. He has also authored several books on game design and development, making him a well-regarded expert in the field.
You’ll learn how to:
- Create your own 2D and 3D games from scratch using Unity
- Develop your skills in scripting using C# programming language
- Build a strong foundation in game development concepts and how to apply them to your projects
- Understand game design theory for character and level design
- Optimize games for various platforms and devices
- Implement artificial intelligence (AI) in your games to create intelligent and challenging opponents for players to face
- Comprehensive: Covers everything from game design theory to programming with C#
- Learn from an experienced instructor
- Credible certificate
- Plenty of opportunities to cement learning through a variety of projects and assignments
- Collaborative – You'll work with other participants, getting feedback on your projects and learning from others
- Very comprehensive so may require a significant time commitment to complete all the assignments and projects
- Doesn't go into as much depth on the artistic side of game development
Who it is for: Anyone wanting to design and develop their own video games using Unity.
Overall: With its comprehensive coverage and practical approach, you will gain valuable skills and experience in game development. Learners will also benefit from collaborative learning with other students and earn a valuable credential upon completion.
2. C# Programming for Unity Game Development Specialization
Platform: Coursera | Teacher: Dr. Tim Chamillard | Length: Approximately 5 months
This specialization on Coursera is taught by Dr. Tim Chamillard. He has extensive knowledge in C# programming for game development using Unity. With a Ph.D. in Computer Science and over 15 years of experience in software engineering, Dr. Chamillard is an amazing expert to teach students the fundamentals of C# programming and how it applies to Unity game development.
Through this specialization, you can gain valuable skills in developing games with Unity and C#. This will ultimately prepare you for a career in the gaming industry.
What you’ll learn:
- To create and manipulate 2D and 3D objects using Unity's game engine
- The basics of C# programming language and how to apply it to game development with Unity
- Creating interactive gameplay mechanics and user interfaces for your games
- The intricate details of game physics and animations to make your games look and feel more realistic
- Version control systems like Git to manage collaborative game development projects with other developers
- Publishing and distributing your games across multiple platforms, including PC, mobile, and console
- Taught by a highly qualified instructor with extensive experience in C# programming and game development with Unity
- Its in-depth approach makes it ideal for those pursuing a career in the gaming industry
- Access to a supportive community of fellow learners, where you can collaborate and share ideas
- Credible certificate
- Practical, hands-on projects that give students valuable experience in developing games with Unity and C#
- Challenging for those without any prior programming experience, as it assumes a basic understanding of programming concepts and syntax
- Not suitable for those interested in learning about game development with other game engines or platforms besides Unity
Who it is for: Aspiring game developers and programmers who want to learn C# programming and game development with Unity.
Overall: With high-quality instruction, an in-depth approach and access to a supportive student community, you’ll gain valuable skills and experience. The hands-on projects and credible certificate add to the benefits, making it an ideal choice for anyone serious about game development.
3. CGSpectrum Platform
Platform: CGSpectrum | Teacher: Troy Dunniway, Firas Hosn, Heath Smith, Bryan Griffiths, and more | Length: Depends on the chosen course
Mortal Kombat, Far Cry 6, The Sims 4, Tomb Raider – if you’re into video games you’ve definitely heard of them. With the CGSpectrum platform you can get an amazing opportunity to learn from the people behind these world famous games.
Discover the world of game development from top-tier professionals who are willing to share all the tips and tricks they have up their sleeves. CGSpectrum offers a plethora of game development courses, catering for both complete beginners and intermediates.
What you’ll learn:
- What makes a game addictive
- Fundamentals of programming in the C++ language
- Building assets and animating your own unique characters
- Maya, Substance Painter, and Unreal Engine, all popular softwares in game development and design
- How to create fully interactive characters to enrich your game world
- What makes a good user experience and how to maximize it
- Amazing extensive range of potential courses – from ‘Introduction to Game Design’ to the ‘Intermediate Game Programming’ course
- Develop and elevate your skills with guidance from seasoned pros in the gaming industry
- Flexible schedules – learn at the pace most convenient for you
- Choose between 1-on-1 or group lessons
- Personalized detailed feedback from your mentors
- Leaves you with credible certificates and job-ready skills
- These courses last for months, with the quickest one being 1-2 months long. So if you aren’t sure you can be committed for so long then maybe try to look for something shorter
- Courses are expensive. However, the price you pay is completely justified by the level of teacher professionalism and the depth of material provided
Who it is for: Anyone interested in game development. If you’re a complete beginner, this platform will help you build a solid base to start from, and for more experienced developers, there are intermediate courses that will take your skills to a completely new level.
Overall: Choose this platform if you’re thinking of switching your career to game development. The courses are demanding, extensive, and pricey, but they are so thorough that by the end you’ll leave as a professional video game developer with great understanding of all the intricate details of the industry. If you feel like you have enough time, drive, and resources for the CGSpectrum platform, I couldn’t recommend it more.
4. Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D
Platform: Udemy | Teacher: Rick Davidson, Gary Pettie | Length: 18 hours and 17 minutes
The course taught by two highly experienced instructors, Rick Davidson and Gary Pettie, provides a comprehensive guide to game development using C# and Unity. With a clear and concise teaching style, they make even the most complex topics easy to understand. Their expertise and passion for game development shine through in every lesson, making this course a must-have for aspiring game developers.
You’ll learn to:
- Create your own 2D games from scratch with Unity's powerful game engine
- Write clean, efficient, and effective code using C#
- Develop your game design skills, from planning to designing characters and environments
- Implement advanced game mechanics such as physics, animation, and sound effects
- Optimize your games for performance and deploy them to multiple platforms
- Monetize your games and turn your passion for game development into a profitable career
- An in-depth approach to game development that covers all aspects of the process, from ideation to deployment
- Tutors with years of experience in game development and teaching, providing you with a wealth of knowledge and practical advice
- Well-structured, engaging, and easy to follow, making it accessible for learners of all levels, from complete beginners to advanced developers
- 4.7/5 rating from thousands of satisfied students, attesting to its quality and effectiveness
- Provides hands-on experience and numerous challenges and projects that allow learners to cement learning
- Requires a significant time commitment, which may not be suitable for learners with limited time
- Does not cover 3D game development
Who it is for: Anyone who wants to learn how to create 2D games using Unity and C#, regardless of their skill level or background.
Overall: With in-depth lessons and hands-on experience, you will acquire a wide range of game development skills, from coding to design and optimization. The highly experienced instructorsprovide engaging and practical guidance, making this course accessible to learners of all levels. All in all, this course is a comprehensive and highly effective guide to 2D game development.
5. Unreal Engine 5 C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games
Platform: Udemy | Teacher: Ben Tristem, Stephen Ulibarri | Length: 29 hours and 39 minutes
This Udemy course is taught by two experienced instructors, Ben Tristem and Stephen Ulibarri, who have a wealth of knowledge in the field of game development. They take a hands-on approach, guiding students through the process of learning C++ and building video games using the powerful Unreal Engine 5. Their engaging and concise teaching style makes this course accessible to both beginners and more advanced programmers looking to enhance their skills.
What you’ll learn:
- How to use Unreal Engine 5 to build stunning video games that look and feel amazing
- The fundamentals of C++, a powerful programming language that's widely used in the game development industry
- Best practices for debugging and troubleshooting common issues
- To build increasingly complex games that challenge and engage your players
- Creating and manipulating 3D game objects and environments using the Unreal Engine 5's intuitive interface
- How to write clean, efficient code that's optimized for performance and scalability
- An opportunity to learn from two expert instructors who will guide you every step of the way
- Unreal Engine 5 is one of the most powerful game development tools out there, and you'll become proficient in using it to create amazing games
- Hands-on and practical, so you'll learn by doing and building real games from scratch
- C++ is a highly marketable in the game development industry. This course will give you a solid foundation in the language
- You'll build a portfolio of games that you can showcase to potential employers, setting you on the path to a career in game development
- Very comprehensive, so may be overwhelming for complete beginners to game development or programming in general
- Focused specifically on using the Unreal Engine 5 and C++, so if you're interested in other game development tools/languages, this course may not be the best fit for you
Who it is for: Anyone who competent and confident using a computer who's willing to put in hard work.
Overall: A fantastic way to learn game development using cutting-edge tools and technologies. Taught by two experienced instructors, the course is practical, engaging, and comprehensive, giving you the skills and confidence you need to create amazing games from scratch. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced programmer, this course is sure to set you on the path to success in the exciting field of game development.
6. Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization
Platform: Coursera | Teacher: Fran Krause, Theotime Vaillant, Dariush Derakshani | Length: Approximately 6 months
This course on Coursera is offered by a renowned arts university – the California Institution of Arts. The instructors are highly qualified professionals with extensive experience in game design and teaching. They provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the concepts and techniques used in the field. The course offers a practical and innovative approach to game design, making it an excellent choice for aspiring game designers.
What you’ll learn:
- How to create game concepts that are engaging and fun for players to interact with
- The importance of game mechanics, including pacing, balance, and player feedback, and how to use them to make your games more engaging
- Insights into the psychology of player motivation and how to design games that keep players coming back for more
- The art of level design and how to create game worlds that are immersive and visually stunning
- How to test your games with real players, gather feedback, and make iterative improvements to create a game that people will love to play
- Taught by experienced industry professionals who share their insights and expertise with you and provide a glimpse into the world of game design from a seasoned perspective
- Practical and hands-on experience, allowing you to build and prototype your own games and turn your ideas into reality
- The course is delivered through Coursera, which means you'll have access to a global community of learners, giving you the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals
- Covers a broad range of topics, including design principles, mechanics, art, and psychology
- Requires access to design tools and software, which can be expensive or challenging to obtain for some learners. While the course provides recommendations for free or low-cost options, you may need to invest in additional resources to fully engage with the coursework
Who it is for: Anyone interested in learning the fundamentals of game design, from aspiring game designers and developers to hobbyists and enthusiasts.
Overall: The instructors are experienced industry professionals who provide valuable insights into the field, and the course covers a wide range of topics, from design principles to art and psychology. With its self-paced, flexible structure and global community of learners, this course is an engaging, informative, and rewarding experience that provides learners with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in the exciting world of game design.
7. The Ultimate Guide to C# Unity 2D Programming
Platform: Skillshare | Teacher: Michael Murr | Length: 10 hours and 25 minutes
This course on Skillshare is taught by an expert instructor named Michael Murr, who has extensive experience in C# Unity 2D programming. With a great approach, he makes learning fun and engaging for his students. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can master the concepts and techniques needed to develop 2D games using C# in Unity with this exciting course.
You’ll learn how to:
- Set up a Unity project and import assets, sprites, and animations
- Create player movement, including jumping and double-jumping mechanics
- Implement enemy AI behavior, such as patrolling and attacking
- Build user interfaces and menus to enhance your game's playability
- Write clean and efficient C# code for game development, including using inheritance and interfaces
- Use Unity's physics engine to create realistic collisions and interactions
- Michael Murr's teaching style is easy to follow and understand, with step-by-step lessons that guide you through every aspect of C# Unity 2D programming
- Provides you with practical skills that you can immediately apply to your own game development projects, giving you the confidence to take your skills to the next level
- Engaging projects that make learning fun and exciting, helping you to stay motivated and focused on your goals
- Supportive community of fellow learners providing you with a network of like-minded individuals to connect with
- Plenty of opportunities to create your own 2D games and explore your creativity
- To fully benefit from the course, you'll need to invest time and effort into completing the lessons and projects. If you're looking for a quick and easy introduction to C# Unity 2D programming, this course may not be the best fit
- While you'll gain valuable skills and knowledge from the course, there is no formal certification or accreditation provided upon completion
Who it is for: This course is ideal for anyone interested in learning C# Unity 2D programming and creating their own 2D games, regardless of their level of expertise.
Overall: With a skilled and engaging instructor, comprehensive coverage of essential topics, and practical hands-on projects, this course offers immense benefits to learners of all levels, providing them with the tools and skills to develop their own 2D games and achieve their goals.
8. The Beginner’s Guide to Animation in Unity
Platform: Udemy | Teacher: Penny de Byl | Length: 11 hours and 19 minutes
Penny de Byl, the instructor for this Udemy course on animation in Unity, has extensive experience in game development and teaching. With her clear and engaging approach, she guides beginners through the basics of animating in Unity, making it accessible and fun. This course is an excellent starting point for anyone looking to learn animation in Unity from a skilled and enthusiastic teacher.
What you’ll learn:
- How to create awesome animations for your Unity games, even if you have zero experience
- The basics of Unity's animation system, including keyframes and animation curves
- Techniques for creating and editing character animations that look smooth and natural
- How to use animation events to trigger actions during gameplay, like a character attack or a sound effect
- Tips for optimizing your animations for performance, so your game runs smoothly on any device
- Tricks for incorporating your animations into your game's logic, like blending animations and transitioning between them seamlessly
- A chance to learn from an amazing instructor who really knows her stuff when it comes to Unity and animation
- The course is designed with beginners in mind, so you won't feel overwhelmed or lost
- You'll get hands-on experience creating animations for Unity games, which is a valuable skill for any game developer
- The course is well-structured and easy to follow, with lots of examples and exercises to reinforce your learning
- Provides a solid understanding of Unity's animation system and the confidence to create your own animations from scratch
- Geared towards beginners, so if you're already familiar with Unity's animation system, you may find some of the content too basic
- While the course covers a lot of ground, it may not go into as much depth on certain topics as you'd like, depending on your learning goals
Who it is for: This course is perfect for anyone who wants to learn how to create animations for Unity games, but it’s mostly catered for beginners.
Overall: With her clear and engaging teaching style, hands-on exercises, and practical tips, Penny provides a solid foundation for beginners to create their own high-quality game animations. Whether you're an aspiring game developer or just looking to add some animation skills to your toolkit, this course is definitely worth checking out.
9. Designing Video Game Soundtracks for Beginners
Platform: Domestika | Teacher: Antonio Teoli | Length: 3 hours and 12 minutes
This course on Domestika is taught by Antonio Teoli, a renowned sound designer with 10+ years' experience in the field. His passion for sound design and teaching shines through in the course. It covers various techniques and tools for beginners to create compelling video game soundtracks. Teoli's qualifications make this course a must for anyone interested in learning the ins and outs of sound design for video games.
What you’ll learn:
- How to create immersive soundscapes that enhance player experience
- The basics of sound design. Including how to use different types of sound effects, ambient sounds, and music to convey mood and emotion in your game
- To use various tools and software to create your own custom sound effects and music
- Tips and tricks for integrating sound design into the game development process, from concept to final product
- Best practices for working with game developers and other members of the development team to create a cohesive audio experience
- How to get started in the world of professional sound design for video games. Including where to find work and how to build a portfolio that showcases your skills
- Learn from a seasoned pro with a passion for teaching
- No prior experience with sound design or game development needed to get started
- You'll learn practical skills that you can apply to your own projects right away
- Provides valuable insights into the game development process as a whole, not just the audio aspect
- Provides a supportive environment – connect with other students and become a part of the game development community
- The course may not be suitable for advanced or experienced sound designers who are looking for more specialized or advanced techniques and tools
- The course is only available in Spanish and even though it does provide high quality English subtitles, it might not be suitable for everyone
Who it is for: Beginners who are interested in learning the fundamentals of sound design for video games and want to create immersive soundscapes that enhance the player's experience. However, if you’re already a seasoned pro this course might open a new side of game development that you haven’t discovered yet.
Overall: An amazing opportunity to explore how soundtracks are made and what part music plays in game development. With a knowledgeable and experienced instructor, hands-on learning, and practical skills that can be applied to real-world projects, this course is a great choice for anyone who wants to create engaging and immersive audio experiences for gamers. The supportive learning environment and collaborative community also add to the overall value of the course.
10. Unreal Engine: Create an Arcade Classic!
Platform: Udemy | Teacher: Greg Wondra | Length: 26 hours and 26 minutes
Greg Wondra is a game development expert who possesses a vast amount of knowledge and experience in the field. He has a passion for sharing his expertise with others and uses a practical and engaging approach to teaching game development using Unreal Engine. In his course on Udemy, he guides students in creating arcade classic games, making the learning process accessible and enjoyable for everyone.
You’ll learn how to:
- Build your own classic arcade game
- Develop your game design skills and create captivating game mechanics that keep players engaged
- Use Blueprint scripting to bring your game to life
- Get hands-on experience with Unreal Engine's tools and features
- Master the art of creating engaging sound effects and music to enhance player experience
- Publish your game on popular platforms
- Taught by an experienced game developer who knows how to make learning fun and engaging for his students
- Provides practical skills that you can apply to your own game development projects
- Covers all aspects of game development, from designing game mechanics to creating sound effects, and even publishing your game on popular platforms
- Accessible to everyone regardless of prior experience
- With 20+ hours of video content, provides excellent value for money
- While this course is excellent for learning how to create arcade classic games, it may not be suitable for those looking to develop other game types or more complex game mechanics
Who it is for: Ideal for anyone interested in game development, regardless of their prior experience, who wants to learn how to create arcade classic games using Unreal Engine.
Overall: Fun and engaging with a comprehensive curriculum, accessible teaching style, and practical exercises. This course provides excellent value for money and is suitable for beginners and experienced developers alike.
What are the advantages of taking an online game development course?
- The ability to learn from anywhere. An online course allows you to participate and learn without having to relocate or commute to a physical classroom.
- Online game development courses can lead to a variety of career opportunities. These include becoming a game developer, game designer, or even a game artist. Such positions are in high demand. And a solid foundation in game development can help you stand out to potential employers.
- Learn at your own pace and on your own schedule. You can watch lectures and complete assignments when it's most convenient for you, whether that's early in the morning or late at night. You can review lectures as many times as you need to fully understand the material, and you can work through assignments at your own pace.
- Access to a global community: Online game development courses often attract a diverse group of students from all over the world, which can provide you with the opportunity to connect with a global community of game developers. This can be particularly beneficial when it comes to getting feedback on your work, collaborating on projects, and networking with other professionals in the industry.
Buyer’s guide: what to look out for
Here are a number of things to think about when selecting the best online game development course.
- Price – courses in game development range from free to many hundreds of dollars. So before choosing the right one for you, consider the money you are willing to invest. Are you interested in a particular area of game development? Programming or game design? Game physics or artificial intelligence? 2D or 3D game development? Consider all options and choose the course that best meets your goals.
- Instructor – it's important to find a qualified and inspiring teacher whose work you appreciate, particularly in a field like game development. We suggest reviewing the instructor's portfolio before enrolling in the course. Additionally, it's worth considering your learning preferences and whether you prefer a more relaxed and informal teaching style or a strictly academic approach. By taking these factors into account, you can select someone who will effectively guide you through the course and help you achieve your learning goals.
- Before choosing a game development course, it's important to assess your objectives. Do you want to expand your knowledge or pursue a professional career in game development, either directly or indirectly? Based on your goals, you can select a course that meets your specific requirements. It's crucial to choose courses that have a strong reputation and provide practical experience, as this can give you an advantage in the job market. Moreover, courses that offer opportunities to connect with industry professionals can be useful for developing your network and advancing your career.
How much does it cost?
Courses in this selection range from free (on a free trial period) to many hundreds of dollars.
Platforms such as CGSpectrum offer you a range of courses. Each comes with outstanding instructors and extremely credible certificates at the end, but they are also very expensive and are also a big investment in terms of time and effort.
However, they do provide a level of expertise and personalized level of feedback that you won’t find in cheaper options. These platforms also give you a lifetime access to all the materials, which is included in the price, as well as countless assignments and extra materials to gain a more in-depth understanding of the industry.
Cheaper individual courses can be found on platforms like Udemy. They sometimes include feedback, but cover less material and usually only touch on the very basics of the subject.
Other courses are available under platform subscriptions, such as Skillshare and Coursera, which both offer a free trial period. A subscription also gives you access to thousands of other courses (both on game development and other relevant topics) which can make them excellent value for money. Whilst Skillshare is subscription only, Coursera courses can be purchased individually.
How long does it take to learn game development?
When it comes to studying game development, there is no fixed timeline. The industry is vast and varied, and it's possible to spend months exploring a single aspect of game development. That's why it's crucial to establish clear goals for your course before you begin.
If you're serious about pursuing a career in game development or a related field, we recommend enrolling in longer courses or course platforms that provide a comprehensive understanding of fundamental principles. These courses can last from weeks to months to even years, so you must be committed.
On the other hand, if you're simply looking to refresh your knowledge or master a specific skill, such as game engine programming, a shorter and more focused training would suffice. These courses won't take up much of your time while still providing a strong knowledge base.
When searching for the right game development course, the options might seem endless.
You might find the Coursera courses perfect for you – their offerings are all provided by world-renowned universities. The Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization (along with the other Coursera specializations in the list) are an amazing opportunity to start your game development journey or to refresh already existing knowledge. These are highly professional and well-produced lessons that will leave you with a solid understanding of the subject and a credible certificate to prove it.
Coursera courses can be purchased individually or you could take all of them with a Coursera Plus subscription.
Another option to consider would be individual courses from Udemy or Domestika. These inclulde Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D or Designing Video Game Soundtracks for Beginners. They’re a great opportunity to discover your desired subject without committing to a platform or investing a lot of money and time.
Lastly, if you’re looking to launch a career in game development you could choose to use a specialized platform like CGSpectrum.
I hope you found this article useful in finding the best game development course online!
See also: best Videography courses, best VFX courses, best Python courses
Game Development Course Frequently Asked Questions
My top recommendation is Coursera’s Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 specialization. This is provided by Michigan State University and taught by Briann Winn.
Courses on this list range from around $40 to many hundreds of dollars. Some are available on subscription which varies from $14-$25 per month.
The duration of your learning journey depends on your end goal. Our list offers recommendations for both longer and shorter courses. So you can choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences.
Maria is a second year English BA student at King's College London with a real passion for creative writing, reading, and anything connected to text in general.